top of page

Travelling Abroad

Travelling abroad with your lease vehicle?

If you're planning to take your TCH Leasing vehicle abroad either for business or pleasure, you'll need to ensure you obtain a VE103B Vehicle on Hire Certificate. This entitles you to drive the vehicle in any EU member state, as well as Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein, at no extra cost for up to 90 days in total within a 12-month period.

A VE103B Vehicle on Hire certificate is a legal requirement for overseas travel in a leased or rented vehicle. For this reason, it is important you give us sufficient notice to accommodate the postal service. The certificate contains details of the vehicle taken from the V5, along with the name and address of the hirer and enables the authorities to verify that the person driving the vehicle has permission to do so. A VE103B is the only legal substitute for the registration document (V5). Photocopies of the V5 or letters of authority are not accepted.

What happens if a hire vehicle is caught without a VE103B?

The consequences will vary according to the country, the law enforcement agency and even the time of day in which the vehicle was stopped. The driver may be fined or the vehicle may be impounded. Without a VE103B your drivers and vehicles are unprotected and vulnerable to potentially major inconvenience and costs.

If you would like us to issue you with a VE103B Certificate, please call our Travel Abroad helpdesk on 0333 0146 059. Alternatively, you can order the certificate by downloading the form below and emailing it back to us, along with a copy of your driver's licence, at Once we receive your completed form and licence copy, we will issue the certificate and post it to the provided address.Please note:  The address you provide for delivery must match the address that is on your driving licence.

The United Kingdom has left the European Union and the transition period has now ended. Drivers from the UK may need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA, including but not limited to:


  • A VE103B Certificate

  • Valid IDP (International Driving Permit)

  • UK sticker

    • Unless your car already has a UK flag on the number plate (this can include the ​Union flag - also known as the Union Jack - the Cross of St George, the Cross of St Andrew - also known as the Saltire - or the Red Dragon of Wales

Depending on the country of travel, you might also be required to carry the following:

  • Extra equipment - for example, you need a reflective jacket and a warning triangle in many countries

  • Emission stickers (permits) in some European cities - you may need to buy these weeks before you go abroad

  • Headlight converter stickers​


There may also be additional requirements for hauliers and trailer operators.

There may be other requirements or restrictions on foreign travel. For up to the minute advice by country, please visit the Government's Foreign Travel Advice page.

For up to the minute of travel advice by the country of destination, you can also use this fantastic resource at the AA's Foreign Travel Advice hub. Please feel free to visit AA's Foreign Travel Advice Page below.


Further information about taking your leased vehicle abroad can also be found on the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association website.



AA European Breakdown Cover

Available on fully maintained contracts


As a valued TCH customer, we can also provide you with AA European Breakdown cover, please ask our help desk for details. 

This level of cover offers benefits such as:

  • Roadside assistance and repairs in over 40 European countries,

  • Tow to the nearest garage,

  • Alternative travel costs,

  • Emergency overnight accommodation costs,

  • Up to £75,000 worth of legal protection to sort out claims, traffic offences & representation,

  • Recovery of your vehicle back to the UK, up to the value of the vehicle,

  • Both single trip and annual trip policies are offered.

It is highly recommended that you carry certain accessories in your vehicle when travelling in many popular European destinations. The list is quite extensive for each country, so with the help of our European Breakdown Partners, the AA, we have supplied a link which details what is required by each country.


We want you to enjoy your holiday and trust the information will assist you. Remember to book the essentials early, plan ahead and ensure that you have any emission zone stickers that are being introduced throughout European cities, but mainly in Germany.

We can assist you in obtaining the necessary zone stickers which you have to book via the internet. At the time of asking for the VE103, please mention that you require Emission zone stickers and we will provide by email the VE103B form in PDF format, which you can send with your online application to Germany or the respective country.

Additional safety items can also be purchased from our online Vehicle Accessory Shop.

AA Breakdown
bottom of page